To provide loans and grants to needy and eligible Tanzanian Students for Higher and Tertiary Education.
To be a reliable and sustainable revolving fund in financing eligible Tanzanian Students for Higher and Tertiary Education.
The core values which will guide HESLB in achieving its objectives are:
Accountability: We are accountable for our own results, encourage ownership by taking initiatives and doing the right things for our organization. We feel obliged to make things better, to pursue excellence, and to do things in ways that further the goals of our organization. We will be answerable for our actions and the actions of our teams.
Commitment and Integrity: We are passionate and intensely focused on serving our clients (the higher education students) with high level of Integrity to enable them achieve their dreams. We do what we promise we are going to do. As individuals and as an organization, we are dedicated to serve our clients and stakeholders. We value all of our customers and stakeholders with high degree of Integrity.
Teamwork: We are committed to common goals based on open and honest communication and collaboration to one another while showing concern and support for each other and most importantly, our clients. We believe the best results stem from integrating a mix of talents, skills and experiences.
Equity: We value inclusiveness, fairness, transparency and justice that we want to see persist, and because of our main existence, we place a particular focus on reflecting the need of the disadvantaged, low-income communities most impacted by our work.
Delivery: We strive to individualize the client experience, provide high quality services that meet the expectations and requirements of our clients and suppliers. We seeks to add value to our clients’ career through tailored higher education financial support.
- To assume responsibility for the control and management of all loanable funds as vested in the Board.
- To formulate the mechanism for determining eligible students for payment of loans.
- To administer and supervise the whole process of payment and repayment of loans
- To keep the register and other records of students loan beneficiaries under the Board
- To advise the Minister on matters of policy and of the law concerning provisions and recovery of loans to students.
- To establish operational links between the Board and higher education institutions with student loan beneficiaries for facilitating a smooth, efficient and effective administration of the loan funds
- To establish operational links with employers of loan beneficiaries for the purpose of facilitating the recovery of the loans granted.
- To establish networking and cooperation links on a mutually beneficial basis with institutions and organizations, be they governmental or non-governmental, local,foreign or international
- To conduct research and maintain a data bank on other local and external scholarships, sponsorships and awards that may be accessed by Tanzanian students in need or in search of opportunities and financial sponsorship or assistance for higher education and/or training.
- To ensure the overall efficient and effective implementation of the provisions of the Act and of any such other written law concerning Government loans and
- To perform such other functions as are conferred upon the Board by or under the Act or any other written laws.
A warm welcome to the Higher Education Students’ Loans Board (HESLB) Website.
Our main focus is on both issuance and recovery of loans from higher education loan beneficiaries.
- Over the past years, since its establishment in July 2005, the Board has managed to issue loans to needy students and the trend shows a steady growth. It started out with 16,345 students who were loaned by the government through the then Ministry of Education, Science and Technology.
- By the 2015/2016 academic year, a total of 123,798 students have been allocated with loans. The higher education students’ loans success could not be possible without the Government’s commitment in funding on one side and the cooperation from students and other stakeholders on the other. We have all been sharing success and finding solutions to a few challenges and this is why HESLB keeps improving by quality and volume in student loans year after year.
- We are glad that most loanees; especially first time loan applicants have been adhering to the given time for loan application. However, due to the fact that some students do not make it in time, we once again remind prospective loan beneficiaries that they have to fulfill all loan prerequisites including signing of all the required documents. For loanees who have already benefited from loans and their repayment time is due, they need to get their loan statements and start repaying voluntarily. With this spirit, we shall make the student loan funds revolving and sustainable.